The long-term expert will work in the judiciary field as part of the implementation team for the European Union grant-funded project “EU Support for Rule of Law” in the Republic of North Macedonia. The project is being implemented by an experienced international partnership led by the Agency for European Integration and Economic Development GmbH and three Co-Applicants – the Ministry of Justice and Administration of the Republic of Croatia, the Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Austria and the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Fundamental and Human Rights.
The overall objective of the project is to strengthen the rule of law in the Republic of North Macedonia. Component 1 implements the following specific objective: To improve the capacities of justice institutions to deliver justice in a transparent and accountable manner.
One of the expected results in Component 1 of the project “EU Support for Rule of Law” is 1.1 Strategic advisory support provided to the actors in the judicial system.
The long-term adviser will provide direct day-to-day support for the courts.
The long-term adviser will report directly to the Component Leader for Component 1 and cooperate with the other engaged experts in this Component. The main area of his/her work will be to strengthen the institutional capacity of courts, covering the following project activities – Activity 1.1.1. General assessment, Activity 1.2.4 Support the capacity building of the courts for the managing and workflow of cases and support for the Judicial Council, Activity 1.2.5 Supporting capacity building of the Council of Public Prosecutors and the Judicial Council.
The adviser will be engaged to cooperate with all courts and to provide day-to-day support to judges, legal associates and supporting staff on demand.This will include to draft proposals to overcome detected problems, including to inform the Component 1 Leader 1 about any development.
Regarding the foreseen activities in the project Work Plan for Component 1, a major priority would be to support the process of general assessment with working standards for the courts and to prepare a uniform methodology for assessment and monitoring the reforms, also regarding the level of preparation for the new Strategy for Reform of the Judicial Sector for the period 2023 – 2027.
Furthermore, the adviser will monitor and support the implementation of the Strategy for Reform of the Judicial Sector for the period 2017-2022 and the connected action plan, Human Resource Strategy for the Human Resource Strategy for the Judicial Network and ICT Strategy. An important part of this monitoring process will be measuring the achievement of Strategies, outputs versus the impact of the results on beneficiaries, or the overall attainment of rule of law. This monitoring process should determine if the reforms are effective and unfold impacts in the judiciary system.
• Monitor and support the implementation of the Strategies (Reforms/HRM/ICT)
• Providing direct day-to-day support for the Courts
• Providing day-to-day support to judges, legal assistants and supporting staff on demand
• Providing advice for managing and workflow of cases
• Improving the communication between courts and judicial Institutions to achieve efficiency and to provide added value for courts regarding internal and international cooperation
• Coordination and preparing the working conditions for the experts foreseen to support the courts
• Providing advice to the courts regarding drafting internal rules and rulebooks
• Academic degree in Law
• Bar exam
• At least 8 years of experience in the Judicial Institutions
• Demonstrated high level of professionalism and an ability to work independently and in a complex environment and under a tight deadline
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including experience performing gap assessments, institutional assessment and capacity building
• Academic degree in Law, a post-graduate degree would be a distinct advantage
• Experience in working in courts
• Extensive experience in capacity building in judicial Institutions
• Prior working experience EU projects